|Home | About Us | Contact Us | Services | Archaeology | Projects | Research | Fascinating Finds | Links|
15 Macquarie Street, Parramatta
Excavation of this site took place between May and August 2009 for the construction of a new Integral Energy substation. Comber Consultants undertook testing for Aboriginal remains and Casey & Lowe were responsible for the historic-period archaeology.
The site lies within the initial settlement at Parramatta and was used for agriculture in the 1790s. Subdivision and development began by 1804. Two lots (6 and 7) and part of a third (5) were within the development site. Hugh Taylor, an emancipated convict, leased Lot 6 in 1822. By the 1840s he was granted all the lots within the site. By 1870 the lots were amalgamated and one large house fronted the street. In the 20th century the site was subdivided and two substantial brick houses built, one owned by Alfred Barry, a well-known music teacher in the 1920s.
Evidence for two early structures was recovered from this site including information about the construction methods, building phases and their occupation. The archaeological remains included:
Casey & Lowe undertook this excavation for Comber Consultants on behalf of Integral Energy.
The photos used in this report are by the Casey & Lowe excavation team. The 1822 plan is from State Records. Other images in the preliminary report are from the Mitchell Library, State Library of NSW.
Historical Archaeological Excavation 2009 Preliminary results - October 2009 PDF File, 3.1 MB, 31 pages, with maps and colour photos.
The 1822 plan shows the development site (red outline)
including lots 6 and 7 and part of lot 5.
These plans give some detail of the comparative lot and house sizes.
The site during excavation looking north towards Macquarie Street.
The blue dashed lines mark the lot boundaries.
Robbed-out footing trenches of the mid to late 19th century brick house fronting Macquarie Street in Lot 6. Scale 1m.
Timber house on Lot 7 with later additions of an eaves-drip drain on the left feeding in to a wood-capped drain flowing to the east (right).
|| Top of Page ||