- Tony has been a heritage consultant since 1989
and has undertaken numerous assessments of archaeological sites
and he has a high level of expertise in the computer tracing,
overlaying and general manipulation of historic plans.
- Tony has extensive experience in the excavation
of early European sites in Sydney,
including assistant-direction of the last season
of First Government House excavations.
- Tony has directed and co-directed more than
20 excavations for Casey & Lowe. Of particular note are:
- Sydney Town Hall Burial Ground
- Museum of Contemporary Art and the 1810s Macquarie-period Dockyard
- Cross City Tunnel Project and the 1820s Barker's Mill
- Conservatorium Site
- GPO and Tank Stream
- Tony is a former committee member
of the Australasian Society for Historical Archaeology (ASHA)
and was on their Publications Committee.
- He was vice-chair of the NSW State Executive Committee
of the Australian Association of Consulting Archaeologists (AACA) 1997-1999.
- Prior to becoming a consultant in Sydney,
Tony spent several years working in the Middle East
as an archaeologist in Bahrain, Jordan and Iraq.
- Tony has done research on the HMAS Sydney
(which sank off the WA coast in 1941).
- Squadron Leader in Air Force Specialist Reserve (RAAFSR).
- Involvement in the search for and recovery of missing-in-action soldiers in Vietnam, PNG and Borneo (2007 – present).
- Awarded Chief of Air Force Commendation
for role in recovery of Flying Officer Michael Herbert and Pilot Officer Robert Carver,
Missing-in-Action in Vietnam in 1970.
- Awarded Chief of Navy Commendation for involvement in the 2006 recovery of the unknown sailor from HMAS Sydney,
buried in unmarked grave on Christmas Island in 1942.
- Member of the Archaeological Advisory Panel to the Heritage Council of NSW (1997-2000).
- Completion of a Master's Degree in Archaeology
at the prestigious Institute of Archaeology, London (1987).
- Guest editor, Volume 14, Australasian Historical Archaeology (1996).
Japanese prisoner of war's ashes recovered at War Cemetery in Cooma -
Article from the SBS with video and pictures - 13th September, 2015.
Barker's Mill Excavated while building the Cross City Tunnel -
SMH Article - 13th March 2004.
Tony Lowe - Publications